A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

House in his name

  • GM06
  • GM06's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 Sep 12 #354023 by GM06
Topic started by GM06
Looking for general advice as I have not been to a solicitor yet.
I have been married for just over a year - we lived in my rented flat when we first married and the bought a house but it was bought just in my husbands name. He is now saying that the house is his and he can sell it without my concent. I think I am registerd on the documents at the Land Registarty but do not know for sure and do not want to ask my husband.
Also we have renovated the property and it is now worth substantially more than we paid. He is saying he "might" give me some money from the profit but also he "might not" - where do I stand. He has paid the mortgage but I have paid all the bills etc.

  • minxy1912
  • minxy1912's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
05 Sep 12 #354055 by minxy1912
Reply from minxy1912
along as you can prove you have put in to the house in any way you will be entitled to something, may not be much because you haven''t owned the property for long,but is still a 50 50 share, esp if you were married when it was purchased. what you have to think about is,will it cost him more to fight him for it than you will get!!!
See a sol,but u should get something iam sure.xx

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Sep 12 #354074 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
You should contact the Land Registry and register your matrimonial home rights. That way, even if the house is entirely in his name he can''t sell it without your agreement. Given that your marriage is so short, you won''t get a full half share, but you might well be able to make a case for half the change in the value.

Best wishes,

  • GM06
  • GM06's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 Sep 12 #354077 by GM06
Reply from GM06
Thanks v much, this is a nightmare so yr advice appreciated xx

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11