A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Moving out

  • Hazel333
  • Hazel333's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
10 Sep 12 #355047 by Hazel333
Topic started by Hazel333
Hi All,

If I move out of the family home into rented, my stbx has assured me he will pay the rent, bills etc while the finances are sorted out, what does everyone think the main risks are? I have no income of my own and am reliant on his maintenance. I do not have a Consent Order just his written word, which has come with the "confidential and without prejudice'' heading so I will not be able to use this if anything goes wrong.

Anyone have any advice please? Or experience?

  • sim5355
  • sim5355's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Sep 12 #355064 by sim5355
Reply from sim5355

  • Elphie
  • Elphie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Sep 12 #355070 by Elphie
Reply from Elphie
Get legal advise ASAP, if your stbx is giving your "offer" that he has thought to mark "without prejudice" then he has clearly had legal advise / done an awful lot of reading himself to know what this means (ie, that if you end up going to court, you can''t show the judge what he once offered you) and yet you only have his word that he will pay for bills rent etc. do you really think he can afford to pay bills etc for two households? Worse case: he doesn''t pay you end up homeless with a cr@p credit rating and lots of people chasing you for money.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.