A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Court Order ''Force to Sell''

  • bsmallwo
  • bsmallwo's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Sep 12 #356374 by bsmallwo
Topic started by bsmallwo
Hiya - just a question about the sale of a house.
My boyfriend''s ex, sent him a solicitors letter telling him she would take him to court for not accepting the £195000 offer for their house. This was backed up by an estate agents letter ''advising'' him to sell the house because it was a ''good offer'' and in no uncertain terms the buyers could not afford any more money.
My boyf then put in an offer to buy the house for half of the £195K minus costs. She verbally accepted. BUT, since then he has had an offer (same buyer) for £205K.
In view of the ''court order'' saying the house is only worth £195K is he justified in
a. Forcing her to accept his offer of half of £195K because the court order and estate agents says it is only worth that amount.
b. Giving her half of the £195K offered and keeping the extra £10K put on the table (as a result of his negotiations)...

I have a feeling I know what the answer is - but was wondering if the letter from her solicitor is binding....

Many thanks - excellent site by the way...

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
17 Sep 12 #356432 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
A solicitor''s letter is just that - a letter. It is not a court order and not legally binding in any way.

At the end of the day, a house is worth what someone will pay for it. If there is a buyer who will pay 205k than that is what the house is worth ...

However how much each party should get would depend on the terms of any court order - ie a Consent Order stamped by a judge or an imposed order following a final hearing. If there is no court order in place - assuming they were married - then the money should be held by a solicitor until the financial settlement is sorted. If they were not married, the division would be according to property law - ie 50:50 if the house is in joint names.


  • bsmallwo
  • bsmallwo's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Sep 12 #356457 by bsmallwo
Reply from bsmallwo
cheers for that - it sounds like it will still be a 50/50 split..... It''s just irritating that he was being forced to sell at such a low and ridiculous price and now she is going to benefit from his negotiations!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11