A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

The future...

  • redhotbex
  • redhotbex's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Sep 12 #356421 by redhotbex
Topic started by redhotbex
In short, together 8 years, bought house 4 years ago, co-habited 4 years prior to that (renting). Have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. We are joint tenants. House recently valued at £82k, current mortgage is £85k. Intend to separate. No other assets/savings, although partner has £30k deferred charge over his FMH due to him 2013/2014. Should I stay in the house? I am able to maintain mortgage repayments with my salary, maintenance, child benefit and tax credits, fixed term ends Aug 2013.I work part-time (9,000pa), how will I stand when fixed term ends? Can he force me to sell? Will he have to come off the mortgage? Can the bank force us out even if mortgage is maintained? Seriously worried for the future...

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Sep 12 #356458 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
It is going to be a more and more common problem, negative equity and only one person willing to stump up the mortage payment.

You are the resident and you are paying your committment to the joint contract. Stay where you are and do not even think about moving out - what is the advantage of defaulting and being homeless and looking at going into rented?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.