A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Wanting to stay in MH

  • Unluckyme
  • Unluckyme's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
20 Sep 12 #356958 by Unluckyme
Topic started by Unluckyme
1. We have one property that is rented out, I am on joint mortgage, but ex keeps excess rent received after paying mortgage. He keeps £330 month.
2. I live in MH with our 2 children aged 6 and 13, I am joint owner also of this property ex paying mortgage.
3. Ex owns another property that he rents out, and is co owner of 3 other properties. He is insisting that I move back to property 1, my children and I are distraught at this thought as they would be leaving their friends and the safety they feel where we are now, would have to give up their large bedrooms and share as 3 room at property 1. is very tiny box room and they would have to part with their belongings to fit in, the reason we moved from this property was because our children were getting to big for the space and to enable eldest to be in catchment for better school.
Any advice about us having to go back, I have suggested through solicitor that property 1 is sold and I will pay my share off of property 2 and remain with ex paying lower mortgage.
Help please.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Sep 12 #357042 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Well, perhaps I can put your mind at rest a little.

I don''t like advising on housing issues without the full facts.

Nevertheless, your husband has no right to '' insist '' that you leave the family home.

You have the right to stay there simply because you are a joint owner and you cannot be removed without an order of the Court.

Again, not knowing the facts, I hesitate to be dogmatic but the Court will tend to prioritise the needs of the children. I''m not saying that it could never be unreasonable for your husband to offer you an alternative home, But my inclination is that you would be likely to have the right to remain in the former marital home at least until the children are 18.

For further information, you can read an article I wrote for wiki.

But shouldn''t your solicitor explain this ?


Attachment Housing_wiki_options-19567ae43c14b541a2a86927aad312d0.doc not found


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.