A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Stbx still in fmh and refusing to pay mortgage

  • Nicola81
  • Nicola81's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
03 Oct 12 #359068 by Nicola81
Topic started by Nicola81
Just want some general advice....my stbx is living in FMH with our daughter. I live in another house with our son.
He has been paying mortgage as he has been living in the FMH since we split.
The mortgage is in both our names.
I just had a text from him saying he refuses to pay the mortgage any more and has forwarded the mortgage company my address and number.
Is he able to do this?
Is he allowed to live in FMH without paying mortgage and expect me to pay both my rent and the mortgage?
He is always trying to make things difficult ... The finance part of our divorce is constantly being dragged out because of his attitude. :angry:

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Oct 12 #359073 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike

Well of course, anyone can stop paying, but it is not advisable. He is committed by contract to make the payments. And he has the benefit of occupation.

I can''t see there is any way a Court would expect you to pay for his house. But the problem remains. If you are in joint names you would have agreed in the mortgage deeds to repay the loan, and this is enforceable under general principles of contract. But as long as there is a reasonable equity in the property you should be relatively safe.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11