A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Mortgage issues

  • allsainter
  • allsainter's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
03 Oct 12 #359205 by allsainter
Topic started by allsainter
Hi ..i am currently seperated from my wife after leaving the marital home after my ex had an affair.( i was asked to)
we have a joint mortgage of which she had never paid a penny, nor contributed towards household bills..
she has not worked in 6 years due to looking after our daughter , but now she has started a job on a low wage.

i have continued to pay all household bills whilst being seperated, including a weekly allowance- due to wife not getting any benefits as she tried working self employed..(unsucessfully).

she has applied for working tax credits, but has been refused on the grounds that because i currently pay all the utility bills that we are still classed as a couple... i said i would support her until she''s got a job and working tax credits.

there is around 40,000 equity in the house, but neither of us could afford to remortgage to buy each other out. is there any way i could remove my name off the mortgage...in which it enables her to get working tax credits and myself having the funds to rent somewhere as i''m living with my parents..

please help???

  • Action
  • Action's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Oct 12 #359226 by Action
Reply from Action
I think it unlikely that your lender will take your name off the mortgage if they feel that your wife cannot afford the repayments on her own. Best discuss options with your lender.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11