A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Dispute over Matrimonial Home

  • pauljoe
  • pauljoe's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Oct 12 #359583 by pauljoe
Topic started by pauljoe
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can provide some advice please.

My wife and I split up in Aug last year after I discovered she was having an affair. I have been living in rented accommodation since then, whilst she lives with our 2 kids (aged 12 and 15).

There is approximately £220k of equity in the “matrimonial home” after deducting the mortgage. I have £40k in pension and she has no pension. She has been paying the very small mortgage on her own since I moved out.

For the last 6 months I have been negotiating a Consent Order that basically means her and her boyfriend of 18 months will buy me out of the matrimonial home.

I am the Petitioner and Decree Nisi was granted in June 2012. I was waiting for the consent order to be approved by court before I apply for Decree Absolute.

Her solicitor had agreed to split the assets 50 / 50. I was expecting to get in the region of £90k from her so that I can get back onto the property ladder.

One week before signing the agreed consent order she changes her mind because she “is not ready for him to move in, and likes her independence”. She is unable to buy me out on her own (she earns £16k per year) and has indicated that she will see if she can be awarded the house until my youngest reaches 18 (Mesher Order).

I have the following questions:

1. What are the chances of her getting a Mesher Order in place, considering that there is plenty of asset in the house? I am willing to buy her out and pay her £130k, which means she can get her own mortgage for a 2 / 3 bed house for £210k.

2. If I threaten to move back in will she be able to get a court injunction against me to stop me doing this?

3. I was waiting until the financial terms were lodged with the court (via consent order) before I apply for Decree Absolute. Can she apply for the Decree Absolute regardless?

4. Can I apply to the court to resolve the issue, e.g. force sale of the house / me buy her out?

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Oct 12 #359597 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
As there is enough equality in the property for you ex to be suitable re home I dont think a court would agree to a mesher order. These are usually only if thats the only way the party with the children can be homed.

My partner had similar issues with his ex, in that she would agree something then change her mind. When a agreement was finally reached and the consent order was written up he asked what happened if she ''''changed'''' her mind again. The solicitor said because there had been an agreement he could request costs if it went to court. So you could take it to court and get a judge to decide.

You can claim the absolute without financial agreement.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.