A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • bigfoot1
  • bigfoot1's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
09 Oct 12 #359999 by bigfoot1
Topic started by bigfoot1
It has been over 14 months I last posted a email to you.
I like to ask if I have a partner move into my house what right has he got.
1. my house has no mortgage since 2010.
2. he lives at my house rent free.
3. he contributes with home improvement include some financal and labour costs from himself.

My questions are

1. How much notice do I need to give him to move out if we split up?
2. Does he has a right to claim money off me if he made home improvement; considering we are in a loving relationship and I do not charge him rent and he helps me with home improvement?
3. what is equity rights please?
Many thanks

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Oct 12 #360041 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
The answers to your questions are :

1. Your obligation is to give '' reasonable '' notice. Certainly no less than 28 days and it is best to err on the cautious side. That is, unless he is violent to you or abusive or anything like that.
2. Yes, it is possible, but of course a lot depends on the nature of the works carried out, and whether there was any intention that he should have some interest in the property in exchange for carrying out the works.
I know this sounds vague but no two cases are ever the same.
3. Sorry, don''t understand the question.


  • bigfoot1
  • bigfoot1's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
10 Oct 12 #360120 by bigfoot1
Reply from bigfoot1
thank u again

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.