A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Equity share

  • Octavia70
  • Octavia70's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
10 Oct 12 #360281 by Octavia70
Topic started by Octavia70
My husband and i have been separated for three years, we have two children, one has gone to uni, the other is still in education. We are ready to divorce and things between us have been fairly friendly. He has had a girlfriend since about a month after we split, i have had a boyfriend for almost 2 years now. I receive maintenance for one child and nothing else. The house is in joint names (i live in the family home still) He has not paid into the mortgage since i have been seeing my boyfriend. He now wants me to sell the house and believes he should receive 50% of the equity, i have offered him slightly less which would cover his non-payment towards the mortgage He has said a flat no to this . He earns twice as much as i do and sadly as i have spent the last 15 years bringing my children up have little chance of a booming career any time soon...any advice?? I have realised i can no longer ''go with the flow and be my ''kindhearted'' self!

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
10 Oct 12 #360283 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
You need to post more details on house value, other assets and incomes and your ages. His pension may be worth much more than yours.

His not paying towards the mortgage while not living there doesn''t come into the equation though. The other side of it is you had sole use of the house but didn''t pay him rent for his half (or at least I assume you didn''t).

Where does he live now?

Do you live with your boyfriend?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.