A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Advice on where I stand

  • pompeygal
  • pompeygal's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
13 Oct 12 #360851 by pompeygal
Topic started by pompeygal
Just finding myself in this situation for the first time and would be grateful for a bit of advice


My partner and I had been together for about 4 years, we entered into a civil partnership at the end of April this year. At the end of June we jointly purchased a house using the equity from my previous property for the deposit and moving costs. We had lived at my flat together for 3 years ish but she only started contributing towards the bills and mortgage about a year after she moved in. She did not contribute anything towards the purchase of the new house and in fact we payed off a loan for £12,000 she had using equity from my flat (I know how stupid that was now!!)

At the end of August she ended the relationship and moved out into a flat with her new girlfriend (rented by the new partner)

My parents have a charge over the jointly owned property to protect their interest (they lent me the deposit for my first flat, the one that''s just been sold)

The house is owned as joint tenants and am in the process of getting this changed to tenants in common.

What are my options for getting her off the mortgage? She is still paying her share at the moment and I am covering all the other bills but I am concerned that she will stop paying.

I don''t think the mortgage company would lend me what I need in my own right to cover what''s left on it, but I could just about afford to keep up the current payments on my own if I cut back on other things.

Is she going to be entitled to any share in the new house? We can''t dissolve the civil partnership until April next year. Is there anything else I should be thinking about doing in the mean time to protect my financial interests?

On another side matter, her mother who was living with us (rent free) up until the end of September still has a key and has been letting herself in on a daily basis while I am at work to retrieve post as well as taking some items, nothing of value. What can I do about this, I have told my ex I want the key back and that I am not happy with her coming in but keep being told it''s her house too and she can allow however she wants access.

Bit of a ramble I know but any suggestions gratefully received


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11