A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What will I be entitled to?

  • Farley123
  • Farley123's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
15 Oct 12 #361090 by Farley123
Topic started by Farley123

I seperated from my husband just over 2 years ago. As I decided I couldnt be with him anymore (he had a drink problem)so I moved out. He told me that he would buy me out a few months later but all this time on and it still hasnt happened. I have put up with the waiting as I know he has had trouble getting the mortgage company to agree to keep him on by himself but now I am unsure if he is spinning me lies. He always has an excuse about applying elsewhere or an up coming appointment with someone who can help. I agreed to take less money than I had hoped for and to stay on the mortgage (if possible) thinking this would give him what he wanted but still nothing.

I know I should go to a solicitor by my finances arent great and I honestly am scared it will spiral worse with extra legal bills.

If I do get a solicitor and go down the path of making him sell the house will I be entitled to half (he did put a 10,000 deposit down on our very first house 11 years ago)and would the solicitor take the money at the end?

I am so scared of what to do and also worried if it will go against me because I havent lived there for the last 2 years?

We have no children. House is worth about 40,000 more than outstanding Mortgage.

  • mez
  • mez's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
15 Oct 12 #361112 by mez
Reply from mez
Have you had a look at the top of the page? There are tools & a calculator to give you a rough idea of what to expect.
It all depends on factors such as length of marriage, etc.
There is also a phone number you can ring & talk your situation through.
NEVER agree to take less than you are legally entitled to, no matter how sorry you feel for him, he doesn''t sound like he would do the same for you & a girl''s gotta live. Good luck.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.