A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Maturing endowment policy

  • Superphilly
  • Superphilly's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
16 Oct 12 #361246 by Superphilly
Topic started by Superphilly
Our joint mortgage is £101599 and there are 2 policies in place which ''allegedly'' were supposed to pay this off. The endowment policy is maturing in January 2013 (supposed to pay out £32750)and the ISA does not mature until April 2024 (supposed to pay out £69000). I will have been separated a year by the time the endowment matures. Standard Life are guaranteeing a minimum payout of £20000. I obviously want to put this towards reducing the mortgage, do I legally have the right to do this as I am fully aware my ex husband will assume that he is getting a nice little ''windfall'' of £10000 to spend on whatever he fancies in January. (he is not contributing to the mortgage any more but pays £200 a month towards my son who is doing an apprenticeship and nothing towards my other son who''s at uni, both still live at home)

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
16 Oct 12 #361258 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Will the policy pay out to you or straight to the lender?

Has your husband said anything about it?

was the intention always that this was to re-pay the mortgage and have you started to do anything regarding division of assets or divorce?

The obvious thing to remember is that the money isn''t half yours and half his it is part of the joint pot to be divided up between you.

  • Superphilly
  • Superphilly's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
16 Oct 12 #361301 by Superphilly
Reply from Superphilly
The endowment will be paid out directly to us in joint names.

Personally I want to leave it alone until the division of our total assets has been decided. (this sadly, could take some time as he said he hopes my solicitor is cheap..) I have taken advice about starting the divorce process and the financial implications. The family home was up for sale but he refused to accept an offer we had on it unless I was prepared to take 40% of the equity so that he would get 60%.

At least if I can reiterate that it is not half his and half mine, then hopefully it will stop him demanding that I pay him his share in January.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.