A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Advice on mortgage + transfer of ownership

  • zinnia22
  • zinnia22's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
16 Oct 12 #361272 by zinnia22
Topic started by zinnia22
Hi - I''d be very grateful for advice. Currently, I have no entitlement to family home as unmarried and not joint owner. House is owned outright by my partner. I previously sold a property in belief we were going to get married and in order to buy larger property together. I have used some of that equity to build extension to family home. We also have smaller property jointly (small mortgage) which is rented out. Relationship rocky and now ending. Partner recently offered me option of buying family home from him at reduced price (he wants sufficient funds to buy a reasonable house for himself). However, I still have shortfall to meet mortgage needed. Partner recently agreed to put family home in joint names in return for sole ownership of 2nd property in order to give me a greater sense of security as this has seriously affected our relationship. However, relationship has further deteriorated and for sake of child + selves I think we need to separate. I wondered whether if we put house in joint names and mortgaged on basis of my salary (partner self-employed and cannot get mortgage), I could then use this to make up shortfall for partner''s asking price then transfer property to my name. Is this possible/legal/sensible???
Thanks for your help.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11