A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020
Mon/Fri 9am-8pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-8pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Owning a house

  • Bcp1411
  • Bcp1411's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
10 months 3 weeks ago #508415 by Bcp1411
Owning a house was created by Bcp1411
I have been split my my partner for now nearly 2 years, we was married for 11 years and sadly lived with my mother in her home,
Now we have split she has a new partner and is living in a council house and taking loads off money from benefits,

Anyway my question is, i have since come into some money and wish to buy my first home in cash, once myself and partner start the divorce process would she be entitled to any off the house even though we have been split,

We do have a child together but he has lived with me for since day 1 and his mother barly see him 3 times in 2 years,

I was thinking off putting the new house in my mothers name until everything has been sorted

Any help would be grate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
10 months 2 weeks ago #508460 by .Charles
Replied by .Charles on topic Re:Owning a house
Putting the house in your mother's name is a bad idea for many reasons but it is plain to see - as you have stated - that it is a ruse to defeat any financial claim.

Such a ruse will cast you in a dim light, at its worst, could end up with your mother being dragged into court proceedings as a complicit party.

As a general rule the principle of sharing ends at the point of [url=Resources/Library/Cohabitation-and-Separation_s33_m1852.html ]separation[/url] therefore anything that you acquire following separation is yours.

That is the general rule although there are extreme cases where this rule might be varied.

If, at the point of [url=Resources/Library/Cohabitation-and-Separation_s33_m1852.html ]separation[/url], you had nothing between you there should be no reason for either of you to claim against the other.

You are better off starting divorce proceedings as soon as possible - ideally on the basis of 2 years separation (you will have to wait until the 2 years has elapsed before issuing a petition) and ask your ex to co-operate to help the process through.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11