The objectives of this article can be summarised as follows :
· To outline the various ways in which a Court can deal with what can often be the most contentious issue in any divorce ; namely what is to happen to the former marital home ( FMH )
· To give a broad outline of the various factors which the Court must bear in mind when considering what order to make
· To help people facing separation to make a more informed choice
· To provide a resource for people who cannot afford a lawyer, and are forced to conduct their own case. The article seeks to give you some arguments which you can use, and give advance warning about some of the arguments which may be used against you.
· The article assumes no previous legal knowledge on the part of the reader and technicalities are avoided where possible.