A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Chartered Surveyor

  • longjulie219
  • longjulie219's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Apr 21 #516385 by longjulie219
Topic started by longjulie219
Hi Can someone help please. My ex wants a chartered surveyor to value property after he disagrees with valuations. Do the surveyors come into the property? because it is not in a very good state but it is in a good area. I need the surveyor to come into the property because a drive by valuation would not reflect the price. We have rising damp etc. Can anyone advise and can you object to a surveyor when you have had three perfectly good valuations from estate agents

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
03 Apr 21 #516393 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
If there is disagreement about the value of a property a chartered surveyor or an agreed sale on the open market are the way to determine value. If you are less than say £10-20k apart and are in the court process, you would be encouraged to meet in the middle. If you cannot agree a chartered surveyor's report would be ordered and you would have to share the cost of it.

It is common for one party to propose three different CS and the other to pick the one who does the valuation.

It would be usual for a CS to do a thorough appraisal inside and out as well as researching recent property sales to determine value. You may need to check with one or two locally to find out how they are currently operating and the extent of what would be included in a valuation (as opposed to a full survey which would pick up less obvious faults).


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11