A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Valuation of Matrimonial Home in Scotland

  • Confused_JD
  • Confused_JD's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
22 Jun 22 #519511 by Confused_JD
Topic started by Confused_JD
Hi there,
Very new to this so all factual advice welcome.
I have been trying to buy my ex out of the family home so that I can keep it for my children. I had the property valued a year ago and we were proceeding on that basis, agreed by him. Now he is claiming the market value has increased significantly (after he had a conversation with one of his tennis buddies) and it is pushing it out of financial reach. He is claiming it could go for X and wants his share based on that value but we may have to wait another year to get that price and in that time it will have cost us all the money earned in legal fees.
My question is how do you fairly come up with a value for the property? Should I seek 3 different independent valuations? Do we have to take market value or home report value?!
This is causing a lot of stress and communication has broken down.

Thank you for reading this,

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
23 Jun 22 #519515 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Do you have a Separation Agreement (minute of agreement) drawn up? If so, then the valuation of the house and spilt of equity in the SA will stand.

If you don't have a SA drawn up, then you will need to get the house valued afresh and base your equity spilt on that.

It would be unusual, to say the least, that a final settlement is based on a projected valuation for a house - the housing market is volatile, and prices can just as easily fall as they do rise.

If you can't agree on a valuation, you can either ask 3 local estate agents to give you a market value, then divide the total by 3 to get a medium; or instruct a single report from a quantity surveyor.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11