A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Joint mortgage and separation - Scotland

  • Wease002
  • Wease002's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
09 Nov 20 #514703 by Wease002
Topic started by Wease002
My friends wife moved out of the family home in March for some “space”. In June he received a letter from his wife’s solicitor stating that the marriage had irretrievably broken down and she was instigating an amicable separation. This was a bolt from the blue and he was devastated. His wife has since moved into a rented flat but she is still paying half of their joint mortgage. My friend is paying the other half of the mortgage and all other associated costs of the marital home. His wife is now pushing to get out of her half of the joint mortgage. Can she do this? My friend is still suffering from the shock of the situation and doesn’t want to rush into anything at the present time (he still hopes that they can reconcile) but surely he can’t be forced to sell the house or assume full responsibility for the entire mortgage already? Please advise

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11