A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

can anyone help

  • Emalou33
  • Emalou33's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
19 Feb 08 #14445 by Emalou33
Topic started by Emalou33

I have run my bits and pieces through the Divorce Calculator, and one thing struck me, the house about 60K in equity in it, although we have redemptions of 10.5K, and the calculator says it would be split 60/40 in my favour, but my solicitor is advising me that I have a good chance of having the house awarded to me in full, as to buy something in the same area I would need this plus the maximum mortgage I can get to fund even a modest property.
H earns 55K plus 8.5K car allowance and I earn 31K, and currently gives me 500 per month towards care for imogen, his solicitor tells him he has no duty towards me, despite the fact that with the debt I have (mostly marital, some due to trying to stay afloat since he left last feb) I can not afford to buy a smaller property for Imogen and I to live in.

CAn anybody advise as the solicitor is expensive and I do not want to keeo fighting if I am not going to get anymore for all the grief.

H has previously offered 60/40 split plus 500 per month.

This leaves him with 2800 per month and me with 2600, but I have substantial debt (19K) and he has none, and I have the home, activities for my daughter etc to fund.

She was a very active 10 year old, horse riding/gym/netball/music lessons, I have had to stop all these as I just cannot afford it any longer, and for the last two weeks have not had money for food/petrol, I am getting into debt with family and cannot see a way forward

Any help gratefully received


  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
22 Feb 08 #14781 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Hello its not an easy one to answer and its a chioce only you can make, and it depends on the equity of FMH, the wiki calculator seems pretty good.
I think if it went to fdr you should get a better deal than you have been offered considering the debt daughter and his higher earnings.
So what you might get if you fight against the sols costs would you accept his offer if he accepted the debt and say offered £600 a month?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.