A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Time limit

  • hacman
  • hacman's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
21 Feb 08 #14573 by hacman
Topic started by hacman
My wife and I are seperated and we have agreed to divorce. She filed the petition with the court and went off to work abroad. I returned the papers to the court and have heard nothing for three months. Upon telephoning the court, I was informed that my wife's solicitors have not returned the 'acknowledgement'? papers. I am now left hanging in the wind.

Is there a time limit for the court papers, after which could I initiate my own proceedings? Or could I proceed anyway?

  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Feb 08 #14574 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
Write to her solicitors:-

I am concerned at the lack of progress in this matter.

The AOS was returned on [date] and enquiries of the Court reveal that my wife has not applied for directions for trial.

You will appreciate more than most that any financial settlement that can be agreed with my wife cannot be approved until a Decree Nisi is made and so it is in both parties interests that progress is made.

I appreciate she is at present abroad, however, you should be able to contact her and get urgent instructions. To that end I believe it is fair to ask you to confirm that within 7 days you have sent to her the necessary affidavit prepared to swear and furthermore that by 4 pm [ a date 21 days time] you are able to confirm in writing that she has applied for directions for trial.

Please understand that if either of the above deadlines are NOT met I intend to issue an application to the Court to seek an order that my Wife's Petition is dismissed for "want of prosecution" and that the original marriage certificate be returned to me to facilitate the issue of Divorce Proceedings agaist her".

The application will incur me costs and so if the application is made whether or not an order is made (ie she then applies) I shall still seek the costs of and incidental to the application in any event.

To have to make tha application is a waste of the family's resources given the Court fee for the issue of the Petition will be wasted. Clearly, if the order to dismiss is granted I shall then forthwith file a divorce petition against my wife.

That should do it:)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11