A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Better to wait for a divorce or not?

  • susie wong
  • susie wong's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Feb 08 #15352 by susie wong
Topic started by susie wong
My husband and I separated at the end of last year when he left the family home and two children aged 2&4 years old.

I would like to get a divorce and he is ambivalent about it - almost happy the way it is at the moment.

Am I better to wait longer in that I would get a better settlement or should I go ahead and file now whilst he has guilt about leaving and is being rather kind. There are at present no other parties involved.

He works in an industry where his salary increases every year and ditto pension.

Sorry to sound like this but I just don't know which way to turn.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Feb 08 #15354 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Not an easy question to answer without knowing more information.

First, and perhaps most importantly, your house. Is it in joint names ?

Then there is the issue of your children. He should be paying child support - is he ?

Is he paying anything on top of this for your support/maintenance ?

Without knowing your respective earnings it is not possible to advise on your possible entitlement, but my first reaction is that if he is happy with things as they are, he may have worked out that his position in a divorce would be worse and is therefore not in a hurry to force the issue.


  • susie wong
  • susie wong's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Feb 08 #15392 by susie wong
Reply from susie wong
Hi Mike,

In answer to your questions, the house is jointly owned and he is giving me an allowance that I have asked for in the interim which covers everything from Mortgage to clothes to starbucks. You name it.

I look forward to your reply as I have NO idea yet as to what I am looking at in terms of entitlement etc. when it comes to divorce.


  • susie wong
  • susie wong's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Feb 08 #15393 by susie wong
Reply from susie wong
Forgot to add that I don't work as two children under 5 and he does work and does better than he thinks I know!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.