A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Solicitors costs

  • Primrosepetal
  • Primrosepetal's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
10 Feb 12 #311422 by Primrosepetal
Topic started by Primrosepetal
Unsure what to do, have reached Decree Nisi Feb 11, now wish to continue with Financials & Absulute. Will attempt to self rep, with help from people here if possible.
Contacted previous solicitors for case file, they in return havve sent me a bill for £998! I haven''t heard from them in 14 months.
Requested detailed breakdown of costs, accept I owe them for 5 letters
But totally refute telephone conversations, and a face to face meeting.
I live 150 miles away and have never been to their offices, not once.
Can I argue with them? Do I need the files to continue, as Finances were never even mentioned in previous proceedings.
I simply have no funds to pay :-(
Any advice greatly appreciated

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
10 Feb 12 #311432 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow

I would ask who their complaints partner is and write to them setting out your complaint re costs with a deadline for response - say 14 days.

Mistakes do get made and hopefully once you explain, they will be quick to sort it out. You can ask them to produce evidence to support their claims if they insist you were called, met etc. They should have itemised telephone bills as would you which would show if you called them at any point. They may argue that the calls etc were not to or from you but were to others and were related to your case. This should be clear from the fee notes.

Another point is whether the 988 plus anything else you have paid is within the amount you were told the divorce would cost. They should have produced a costs estimate and updated it if costs were likely to increase at any point e.g. because the divorce was to be defended.

I am not sure that you do need the divorce files to do the financial stuff. You do need a copy of the Decree Nisi which you should have been sent. You would need to tell the court you are self repping otherwise letters may still go to the solicitors if they are on court files.


  • Primrosepetal
  • Primrosepetal's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
10 Feb 12 #311435 by Primrosepetal
Reply from Primrosepetal
Thank you very much, Hadenoughnow very helpful.:lol:

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11