A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Changing house locks - Florida

  • Desperate1962
  • Desperate1962's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
02 Mar 12 #315731 by Desperate1962
Topic started by Desperate1962
I bought my house 7 years before getting married and I have the warranty deed. We were married for 11 years. She was Baker acted on 8/21 and then again 9/12/11 and Doctors would not allow her to move back to the house since she had already tried to commit suicide there twice and was Baker acted a month earlier. She has not lived here for since then, ( 7 months) She no longer has mail coming to the house since I have had it forwarded to her other residence (her parents). Divorce papers are in the works but have yet to be filed with the courts. Can I legally change the lock on the house at this point? If not, then why? The house and contents are mine other than her personal belongings and she is basically using the house as a storage unit for her things. Anything I can do about changing the locks?

  • Tets
  • Tets's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
02 Mar 12 #315758 by Tets
Reply from Tets
US law varies from state to state, but I don''t believe there is any law preventing you change the locks however if your spouse is named on the deeds unless there is some order denying them access they may be able to force entry and change the lock as-well.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11