A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Penalty on ex-husband for disobeying Court Order?

  • gravitino
  • gravitino's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
12 May 12 #330183 by gravitino
Topic started by gravitino
My partner''s ex-husband has a predictable tendency to fall out with his professional advisers over their fees: his accountants, his divorce lawyers, etc.

Now my partner has heard from her divorce accountant that her ex-husband has dismissed his divorce accountant. As a result, all the work that his accountant was doing to organise the ''demerger'' of the ex-husband''s assets to my partner has come to a halt. This works in his financial favour because the longer he hangs on to these assets, the more interest and rent he accrues.

The court order resulting from the FDR explicitly requires that ''the Husband shall procure the demerger to be effected ...forthwith upon HMRC clearance ...''. As all parties agree that HMRC clearance has been obtained, the ex-husband would seem to be in direct violation of the court order.

My partner''s accountant says he has no power to force the ex-husband to resume this demerger work.

What this would seem to mean is that my partner will have to reactivate her divorce solicitor (who has a substantially higher hourly rate than her accountant).

Can my partner get all her resulting legal and accounting costs from her ex-husband?

Can a financial penalty be extracted from the ex-husband for his wilful contravention of the Court Order?

Both ex-spouses signed a declaration that if they break any of their promises to the court, they might be sent to prison for contempt. Is this the sort of incident for which an ex-spouse might be sent to prison?

My partner is just trying to build a case, in terms of the possible consequences, so she can write an email to her ex-husband to jolt him into action without her having to incur heaps of legal fees.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.