A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Solicitors fees

  • simplysad
  • simplysad's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
01 Jun 12 #334527 by simplysad
Topic started by simplysad
I have been charged for work carried out in connection with chasing the local County Court for the pension sharing Annex. Vital papers were omitted. The Pension Sharing Order could not be issued until all relevant papers were to hand.

The Family Manager of the County Court tells me that the delay arose because my solicitors failed to submit all the relevant papers in order for them to turnaround the Pension Sharing Annex. It was they who flagged this up to my solicitors so feel they were not at fault for the delays. I have this in writing also.

The above matter formed just one part of my official complaint to my solicitors. They have chosen to completely ignore and accept no ownership of the above.

However, I have just received a phone call from the Accounts Dept of my solicitors telling me they require me to inform them this afternoon of my proposals to discharge all outstanding costs.

Do I have any rights at all? It seems not but I would be grateful for some advice.

Many thanks.

  • Action
  • Action's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Jun 12 #334528 by Action
Reply from Action
Have a look at the Law Society website and:


they might be able to advise.

I am sure there are certain rules about solicitors being expected to do work in a timely manner.

You could always send an imterim letter to your solicitor that, as you have had no response to your complaint, you are seeking advice from the ombudsman before settling your bill.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Jun 12 #334559 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
You need to pay the bill and then pursue compensation otherwise you risk being sued and having costs awarded against you.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Jun 12 #334809 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
You should establish that the work to correct their error has or has not been charged. If it has, it needs to be removed but if not then the bill remains to be paid.

The Ombudsman deals with complaints and has the power to award compensation which is paid separately and is not deducted from the bill. If you feel that you wish to challenge the solicitors bill you must apply for an assessment of the solicitors costs. You need to reduce the solicitors costs by 20% otherwise you will pay their costs of dealing with the process.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11