A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Occupation rent and third parties

  • Pink Flamingo
  • Pink Flamingo's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 Jun 12 #334989 by Pink Flamingo
Topic started by Pink Flamingo
In the process of divorce after 20 years where I worked and financed everything. I remortgaged my flat to buy a house which we lived together in for 4 years on an interest only loan. I am planning on moving back to the flat which was rented out, very soon as he refused to move out despite his ongoing adultery. I read that he could be ordered to pay me an "occupation rent as I now have to pay a very large mortgage on dwindling savings and am currently unemployed. Does anyone have any experience of this and can it be backdated??
I also read about Third parties where a court does have the power to require a third party to attend with documents that can be inspected and wondered if I could request his new partner of 2 years be asked about her finances? I know she has her own house worth 400,000 and no mortgage as well as a reasonable income.
Any advice would be very welcome.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jun 12 #335074 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
I''m afraid I don''t have much experience on the subject of occupation rent.
Can you establish certain facts for me ?
This flat, is it in joint names ?
Am I right in thinking that there was a time when you occupied it together and then you moved out ?
And subsequenly to your moving out he moved his new partner in ?
Do you know if he has registered matrimonial home rights against the flat ?

As a general rule, if you are the sole owner of the flat, he, as your husband is entitled to live there by virtue of the fact that he is your husband. These rights will normally terminate on divorce ( as he would no longer be your husband ). It is possible that he could apply for an order giving him the right to continue to live there at least until the finances are settled. However the fact that he has a well heeled partner would clearly count against him ; it would seem on the basis of what you say that they are quite capable of housing themselves and are using you as a convenience.
The fact that he has a new partner is relevant ( in principle at least ) to his future needs. You can certainly ask about the new partner''s resources but I''m not clear about whether the NP has any obligation to disclose her assets, even though you have no claim against the NP directly. Those resources are only relevant to the extent that they affect his needs.
But there are always dangers, from his point of view, that if the NP does not disclose her resources, the Court may make assumptions and act on them, and the Court may make a more severe order than it would have done if they had all the facts.
I am afraid that this will call for legal advice which I do not feel able to give you except in general terms.

  • Pink Flamingo
  • Pink Flamingo's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 Jun 12 #335160 by Pink Flamingo
Reply from Pink Flamingo
Thanks for your help and input. I will discuss with my solicitor but aware every time I go to her for advice it costs me and my money is fast disappearing.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.