A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

STBX & Solicitor dragging their heels

  • SilverFir
  • SilverFir's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Oct 12 #364022 by SilverFir
Topic started by SilverFir
[with regards to the divorce proceedings rather than the financial proceedings]

I replied to correspondence from STBX solicitor on 3 October (so four weeks ago) but still have not received any letter with regards to the questions/issues that I raised at that time.

Three weeks ago, the court wrote to advise both sides that our divorce could proceed under the cross-petition. STBX solicitor now needs to submit D84 & D80 but hasn''t done so.

As a LIP, is there ANYTHING I can do about the other side dragging their heels? I know that his solicitor is working for him, but surely I''m entitled to courtesy and progression of the issue.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Nov 12 #364149 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
It could be that they are awaiting instructions from their client or their bills are outstanding.

Write to them and ask if they are still instructed to act for your stbx and if so, to progress the divorce suit forthwith.


  • SilverFir
  • SilverFir's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Nov 12 #364389 by SilverFir
Reply from SilverFir
Oooh, I''ve had a letter from them today, at least, from a secretary. It acknowledge receipt of my form E. It didn''t answer any questions from my (now) two letters though.

This is probably me being picky, but I''m not impressed by the quality of their correspondence. The letter head is seriously faded, it''s almost impossible to read the address etc. The typed text is slanted, page not fed thru printer properly. And the bottom of the letterhead has three of the five practice names crossed through, leaving only two (one of which is a Family Law Exec); also crossed through is "Member of the Law Society Children Panel & Family Panel". If I were to be considering using the practice, I wouldn''t be impressed by this letter and would wonder if their legal practices were similarly sloppy.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11