A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Married abroad; want divorce to go through quickly

  • smunchy
  • smunchy's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
27 Dec 12 #371663 by smunchy
Topic started by smunchy
Hi all. I just wrote to introduce myself and am also writing here to ask a legal question.
My husband and I only married in Feb 2012 and are planning to divorce next year. The reasons are that he has done a u-turn on children after our failed IVF and fertility testing and that he no longer will consider adoption. Its a deal-breaker situation for me whereas he feels he can live without kids.
Anyway, we have been domiciled in the Middle East for the past 5-10 years and got married in South Africa (with a prenup) and have very recently relocated to the UK. I have just read that here we need to be separated for 2 years before we can divorce. I dont want to wait that long because I need to be divorced for some years before I am deemed ''stable'' enough to adopt.
He also wants to move on.
How can we do this quicker - do we need to return to SA?
Or is there a way we can do this quicker here in the UK?
Many thanks for any advice in advance

  • wikivorce team
  • wikivorce team's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
28 Dec 12 #371668 by wikivorce team
Reply from wikivorce team
You can start a divorce in the UK anytime from Feb 2013 on the basis of unreasonable behaviour.

Unreasonable behaviour can be many things - such as "you argued too often" or "there was a lack of physical intimacy" etc. The statements of unreasonable behaviour do not have to be proven and it is not necessary for your spouse to admit to the behaviour.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11