A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Who pays

  • dnails63rr
  • dnails63rr's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Apr 18 #500555 by dnails63rr
Topic started by dnails63rr
I have just been reading some of the posts around legal fees. I just want clarification of who is responsible for paying of legal fees.
I have just started divorce petition on grounds 'adultery' as my ex and I are seperated but he has started a new relationship whilst we are still married.

I want to know can I ask him to pay the legal fees as in a couple of posts it seems to imply that is the case or have a I got that wrong.

I wanted to divorce on grounds of unreasonable behaviour but there was Uno concrete evidence and ex has denied everything and that I lied about is awful behaviour towards me.

So my solicitor advised me to go for divorce on grounds of Adultery which certain.

So who is liable for the fees?

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
02 Apr 18 #500562 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
You can ask for the fees if you are using UB or adultery.

Unless your ex has agreed to admit to adultery then most people would advise you to use UB instead. Most UB is about how you feel not something awful your ex has done. Things like works long hours leaving you feeling neglected, goes out with friends leaving you lonely, refuse intimacy etc.

  • dnails63rr
  • dnails63rr's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
09 Apr 18 #500661 by dnails63rr
Reply from dnails63rr
I wanted to divorce on grounds of UB but my solicitor advised against it as it was ambiguous (no written evidence like a police report or GP visit) so she felt he would contest and this would draw process out massively. As he is in a new relationship it was much more concrete and he would not have grounds for contesting.
So what you say is that he will have to pay if he contests to the grounds of the divorce (which I dont' think he is) also what about things related to the financial settlement where he might be arguing in regard to terms I set out.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11