A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Solicitor failure.

  • anonymous814
  • anonymous814's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 Aug 18 #503401 by anonymous814
Topic started by anonymous814
I really could do with some advice if that's possible.

In short, I am divorcing my wife which at the moment is 100% amicable. 3 months ago I submitted to the court through my solicitor the divorce petition. The same had to go to the court from my wife's solicitor.

My divorce petition made it to the court no problems at all and with plenty of time however, my solicitor contacted me today to inform me that my wife's form did not make it to the court. My solicitor managed to get hold of my wife's solicitor and it turns out that they somehow managed to either mislay or forget to mail the form to the court. Her solicitor has admitted they made a mistake, and to me this is a monumental mistake. Since having spoken to my solicitor this apparently will cause a further 3 month delay and will most likely cost more.

I'm no solicitor by any means so I have to ask on here, is there any way I could significantly reduce this 3 months, I'm at my wits end with this due to the cost, any advice would be very much appreciated.

  • stay positive
  • stay positive's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
14 Aug 18 #503405 by stay positive
Reply from stay positive
It seems to me Solicitors are a law unto themselves, they work in months not weeks.

Mine lost the marriage certificate and had to apply for another one, swore blind that the forms had been submitted to court. The courts had no record. The divorce took nearly a year !!!!

But it didn't cost me any extra just a lot of stress and frustration.

To answer your question. I don't believe there is anything you can do to speed things up. Just grin and bare it.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Aug 18 #503427 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
Once the acknowledgement of service is filed, assuming the court accepts your petition, the process is fairly swift. Sure, you have lost 3 months but now that the mistake has been rectified you can apply for Decree Nisi and once issued you have to wait 6 weeks and 1 day before applying for the Decree Absolute.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11