A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Separation Agreement

  • Louise123
  • Louise123's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Feb 08 #13071 by Louise123
Topic started by Louise123
My X2b thinks I should rent a flat/house for 6 months as I want to separate. He is hoping that in that time apart I will decide I want to get back together with him.. I guess this is an option if I take this idea. However, what happens legally if I move out??? what happens if I take a rental flat and he decides to change the locks and becomes nasty?? Everything is amicable at the moment, but who knows what could happen?? Can anyone help??? We are planning an amicable separation with a Separation Agreement.... we have both been to solicitors and both solicitors "reluctuntly" agree that we are both being reasonable. Should this separation agreement be drawn up with the "rental" period in mind first??. ;)

  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Feb 08 #13077 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
The most important thing is if you are both happy with the agreement why then the concern.

If you rent it will be a for a 6 month letting...and no doubt the agreement will preserve your rights that at the end of the 6 month period you can return to the property even if a divorce may be on the cards...

Both of you will no doubt be happier ultimately you have tried to genuinely save the marriage. You could make a condition that if he changes the locks you are to be given a full set of keys...and a failure to comply will entitle you to issue divorce proceedings forthwith and in those proceedings apply to the Court for an order for the keys to be returned and you costs of that application to be paid by H."

  • Elle
  • Elle's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
06 Feb 08 #13078 by Elle
Reply from Elle
In my experience, the sols will have u at each others throats.......if u can discuss and reach an agreement....keep the sols out...will save u heartache, becoming life enemies and thousands of pounds to support the sols lifestyle

  • phoenix1
  • phoenix1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Feb 08 #13092 by phoenix1
Reply from phoenix1
Elle, How do you do a separation agreement that is legal without the use of a solicitor? This is what I am in the process of starting so any advice would be good.



Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.