A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

seperated 4 more than 2 yrs

  • pearly
  • pearly's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Feb 08 #13259 by pearly
Topic started by pearly
hi there hope someone can help. my friend has been seperated for nearly 4 yrs and he is petitioning for divorce diy. it says seperation for 2 yrs with consent. his wife will not speak to him so he is concerned that she may not sign does he need the signiture or can he serve the papers via court bailiff? also children r involved and she prob will not agree to the proposed visits will that affect the divorce goin thru?
this is really urgent so pls reply guys! thanks

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Feb 08 #13262 by mike62
Reply from mike62
You would need to request the court to allow the court bailiff to personally serve the divorce documents on the respondent. The court bailiff would then swear an affidavit confirming service, should the respondent still not respond you proceed to the next stage, the application for special procedure whereby you would use the sworn affidavit as an exhibit. You will have to pay the court a fixed fee for this service.

After service you must allow 29 days for the respondent to file a defence (called an ‘answer’ in divorce proceedings) and, if they do not, you can then apply for the Decree Nisi (the first divorce decree).
Best of luck

  • maggie
  • maggie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Feb 08 #13274 by maggie
Reply from maggie
My ex emailed me to say he was ignoring the petition and the judge accepted that as evidence he had received it.

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Feb 08 #13288 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008
If your friend has doubts as to an agreeable divorce then I suggest proceeding on grounds of unreasonable behavior.

It is not too difficult to find aspects of living together intolerable to continue to live with and whilst they have been separated for nearly 4 years there is no time limit on filing for UB.

If filing for 2 year separation then both spouses have to agree to it.

As previoulsy mentioned, petition, wait about three weeks for the court to advise if it has been acknowledged and if not you can then ask the court to issue another copy via a bailiif.

Once issued by a bailiif court accepts that it has been served, you can then proceed as before.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.