A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How do I get service deemed to have been received?

  • Gingernut49
  • Gingernut49's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
18 Mar 12 #318780 by Gingernut49
Topic started by Gingernut49
My husband lives in Spain and is being difficult about the divorce. I left him two years ago (after 40 years of marriage) as he was getting drunk every day and being abusive but he wouldn''t give consent to the divorce so I have had to cite unreasonable behaviour.

My query today is whether the court would accept proof of delivery in the form of seeing my tablet which has a series of messages sent and received yesterday, as follows. (I''ve removed his name here.) I''ve no money for a bailiff to serve a further Petition in Spain and I''m doing the divorce myself.

Me: Have you received the divorce papers?
Him: Yes
Me: Okay, thanks.
Me: Have you sent back the form to the court?
Him: Nnt yet.
Me: I think they specify a time limit. Can you do it on Monday please?
Him: I’ve got 7 days from receipt. What’s the hurry?
Him: I have more important things to consider at the moment. Your petition is rejected. Your turn next.
Him: BTW The paperwork I received is in the bin. Again your turn next!

  • WhiteRose
  • WhiteRose's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
20 Mar 12 #319214 by WhiteRose
Reply from WhiteRose

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Mar 12 #319231 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
There are special rules for serving papers abroad and you are going to need a solicitor for this.

  • Stingrayj
  • Stingrayj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Mar 12 #319271 by Stingrayj
Reply from Stingrayj
Hi Gingernut,
Sorry you are going through this. Here is a link that might be of some help to you.



  • Gingernut49
  • Gingernut49's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
21 Mar 12 #319272 by Gingernut49
Reply from Gingernut49
Thank you Sting. That''s very helpful. I was quoted over £1000 from one solicitor and I don''t have any money at all.
I emailed one solicitor and they said that a judge might accept seeing my tablet as evidence that he received the documents and I have a good photograph of it too.
What a pity he''s being such a ***** but I might have expected it. :-(

  • Gingernut49
  • Gingernut49's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
21 Mar 12 #319274 by Gingernut49
Reply from Gingernut49
I have no money for solicitors which is why I''m doing it myself. I only have my state pension so I''m not having to pay for the divorce.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.