A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Jurisdiction Problem (Scotland-England)

  • nemo707
  • nemo707's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
10 May 12 #329669 by nemo707
Topic started by nemo707

I used to live in Scotland and got separated from my Ex in Dec 2010. We do not have any children or joint property. She DOES NOT want divorce.

She filed a maintenance case for which I am still paying "interim" aliment.

I dont know where she lives now England or Scotland or some other country.

After Dec 2012, 24 months of separation would be complete, so I was thinking about using DIY procedure.

The maintenance case is on a sisted state..i.e. paused state (she requested to pause it and disappeared)

problem 1) Can the maintenance case cause a problem for simplified process as one of the condition is there should not be any pending financial matter.

Problem 2) I live in England now and the laws are different in England. Would that cause jurisdiction problem for me because I dont live in Scotland ?

Your responses would be appreciated.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 May 12 #330072 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
There will be no jurisdiction issues If your wife still lives in Scotland.

The aliment is only paid until you divorce and it could be an outstanding financial matter if there is no Separation Agreement settling the split of any assets and/or periodic allowance after divorce.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11