A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Representing myself

  • Zeusthegod
  • Zeusthegod's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
29 Aug 18 #503637 by Zeusthegod
Topic started by Zeusthegod
I need some help please. I’ve got a deadline of 19th September to complete form E. My solicitors costs are unmanageable and I’m thinking of going it alone. My ex is on the missing list and the court is satisfied that I have made every effort to find him. My question is:

Can I ask for an extension on the form E from the court while I ‘take over’
- there are some documents pending that will take 6 weeks to deliver.
And what should I watch out for?
Thank you

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
30 Aug 18 #503643 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Welcome to wikivorce.

When you say your ex is on the missing list, what do you mean? If they cannot be found and are not represented, then Firm E cannot be exchanged. You should still file with the court though.

In practice deadlines in family law are a bit fluid. We have heard plenty of stories of people handing over their form E on the way into the first hearing and not being penalised.

I would say that a few days after the deadline would be fine. If you want to delay beyond that, you may need to consider an adjournment. Remember you can always submit the Form and say documents are "to follow". An updated Form can be put in closer to the hearing.

You will need to inform the court that you are representing yourself and ensure they have an address to send communications to.

You will need to retrieve your file from the solicitor. They will normally want their bill fully paid first.

If you need help at any point, you can always ask on here or call the helpline.
We do also have some cost effective services to support litigants in person.


  • Zeusthegod
  • Zeusthegod's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 Sep 18 #503696 by Zeusthegod
Reply from Zeusthegod
Thank you!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11