A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Respondent Refusing to Sign

  • MattR91
  • MattR91's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
03 Jul 21 #517177 by MattR91
Topic started by MattR91
Hi all,

Split with my ex 2 years and 4 months ago. Pretty bad split, financial and mental abuse requiring extensive psychotherapy on my end and she was also adulterous. She refused to get a divorce that had any mention of liability on it so made me wait the two years diligently.

Eager to press on after that time scale was up she agreed to a minimal cost divorce through DIY and I agreed to pay the court costs. After I put the petition in she has essentially refused to sign for four months. I said one or two things I regret and now I'm blocked. Wonderful. Anyway.

I know she has received the petition and believe I need to have the reasons changed from 2 years separation with consent to unreasonable behaviour to apply deemed service. Is that possible with a DIY online petition or do I have to repetition? Obviously I'd like to keep costs minimal.

I hope this is in the right place and appreciate any help.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
04 Jul 21 #517183 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Given the way she's behaving, changing the grounds may not be enough. You have to prepare for her still failing to sign and the consequences and costs of that. This may include an application for deemed service or the need to employ a process server.

I would suggest you write formally to say that if she refuses to sign you will have no alternative but to change the grounds on the petition to UB and seek full costs against her. You could suggest you have been advised you will need a solicitor to do so and the costs will therefore reflect their charges.

If you need assistance with any of the above, give the helpline a call.


  • MattR91
  • MattR91's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
09 Jul 21 #517225 by MattR91
Reply from MattR91

Thanks. Would having texts to say she wants the divorce has received the petition but is threatening to dismiss it to wind me up consistent with UB? As we separated 2 years 4 months ago the other reasons may be inadmissible from what I've read? I've come to the end of my tether with the lack of progress and now I'm not too bothered about spending to get it done with as it's now cost my current relationship.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11