A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Mediation or straight to Court

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Apr 11 #263614 by maisymoos
Topic started by maisymoos
My solicitor has recently written to me regarding mediation before application to court for AR.

My problem is that although I was positively keen on mediation my x2b is being very evasive as to his true financial position and believe he has even produced fraudulent bank statements and payslips. He is refusing to answer questions in relation to his E form. How can I go into mediation on this basis?


  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
16 Apr 11 #263624 by dukey
Reply from dukey
This is causing much confusion even among solicitors.

mediation is not required before court proceedings can begin what is required is an assessment of suitability for mediation the two are very different.

There is an article i put in the library explaining it, it has five hits in a week :(maybe an article about stamp collecting would have engendered more interest :)

So all you need to do is contact a mediator (google mediator.gov) and have an assessment the cost seems to range from £100-£149ish so far, if the mediator thinks it is of no use you will be provided with form FM1 then you can apply to court for them to help.

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Apr 11 #263647 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
Thanks Dukey. I have read your article (excellent thank you) and now understand more.

Think I may go for individual mediation and hope I can get form completed for court.

This whole thing is ridiculous really I wanted to deal through mediation 4 months ago but proving impossibly with so many lies. I still can't believe he has stooped so low.

I cannot now sit at a table and agree to anything without honest cards! TRUST is now ZERO.

Thanks so much for advice.:)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11