A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

New legal requirements for Mediation

  • awb1209
  • awb1209's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Mar 12 #320319 by awb1209
Topic started by awb1209
My wife and I have been granted a Decree Nisi but are now arguing over assets. We have initially voluntarily swapped form Es but she has now initiated a First Appointment with the court (due in May). With the new MOJ guidelines on mediation is it required that we have been to mediation before the first appointment? I would like to go, her solicitors dont seem to have suggested this to her.



  • WhiteRose
  • WhiteRose's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
27 Mar 12 #320322 by WhiteRose
Reply from WhiteRose
Hi Anthony,

I think to proceed to Court you need a Form FM1 from the Mediation Service - this form means your situation has been assessed and they think mediation is not suitable.

Have a look at this link:



  • Imediate
  • Imediate's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Mar 12 #320377 by Imediate
Reply from Imediate

Do see if you can encourage your wife to go to mediation. It really does have many advantages compared to fighting through lawyers - cheaper, quicker and less aggressive, and the two of you make the decisions together rather each lawyer trying to grab as much of the pot as possible.

There is an article I wrote which she might helpful. It can be found at: www.wikivorce.com/divorce/Mediation/Arti...oute-to-divorce.html

I hope it works for you both

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Mar 12 #320393 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
Both parties are invited to attend a mediation assessment where the mediator will determine if the case is suitable for mediation or not. This assessment is mandatory but mediation is not.

I saw a completed FM1 yesterday where the mediator ticked the box that said something along the lines of "one of the parties declined to attend the assessment meeting therefore I determine that this case is unsuitable for mediation" - this is then used to issue proceedings.

I''m not sure how many people go through mediation that would not have done so prior to the new procedure. I guess that having the mediation process within easy reach will allow more people to avail themselves of that process but otherwise, if the parties are at loggerheads, mediation will not take place.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.