A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How do I initiate mediation?

  • Gloriasurvive
  • Gloriasurvive's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 May 12 #329355 by Gloriasurvive
Topic started by Gloriasurvive
My X has approached me and I agree we need to now go to mediation.

How do I go about this as cheaply and as cheaply as possible, money is getting so tight now.
Thank you.

  • Bobbinalong
  • Bobbinalong's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 May 12 #329357 by Bobbinalong
Reply from Bobbinalong
hi, I beleive your solicitor can find one or put you in touch, you may also find one on the net in your area.
Their qualification for legal aid is more lenient than that of solicitors, I got it when we did it, it is about £150 per hour per person however.
Although, a lot cheaper than sols and court.
Although ultimately you need a solicitor when mediation has completed.
Mediators assess your income and expenditure and if I rememeber when I did it if you have £650 or less left in a month, you qualify, you only have to show one month to qualify. They allow you mortgage, rent CM going to work payments to qualify.

Mediation is good, if both parties are looking for a fair, amicable split and an end to the ''relationship''
The final agreements are only like an MOT, things can change when you walk out the room, which is why its important to get things moving with a sol when you leave towards a Consent Order.

It is possible to become stuck in mediation, then you can only resolve with a sol and court over certain issues.

  • Imediate
  • Imediate's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 May 12 #330279 by Imediate
Reply from Imediate
Solicitors should know about local mediators. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau might also be able to point you in the right direction.

There also might be community based mediation organisations that are charities or not for profit and may be free or cheaper, depending on the funding available to them.

If possible, do see how much you can agree between you before going to see professionals as the less time you take up, the cheaper it should be.

Also, be prepared. You will need to disclose all your family assets and liabilities (bank accounts, any savings, house valuations, mortgage statements, credit card debts, pension valuations and so on). So get copies of statements and take them to you first meeting.

Finally, before you go to your meetings, have a good think about what you think would be a fair division. However, as this may well be different to that of your spouse, do be open minded, listen to the other side''s point of view and be prepared to compromise if necessary.

I hope you find a good mediator and that the process works well (and cheaply) for you.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11