A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • Diamonds
  • Diamonds's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
22 Aug 12 #351045 by Diamonds
Topic started by Diamonds
Having recently been made redundant, i now have to apply for legal aid. To get legal i have been told i MUST go through mediation. My divorce is at financial stage, to do this mediation is awful for me. My ex is so patronising, very smarmy, i haye the thought of sitting opposit him. Why o why do i have to do this, i just want a divorce.

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Aug 12 #351061 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
Just think of mediation as a step towards your end goal. It is much better to agree the financial stuff at mediation, hopefully only 3/4 meetings and then all over rather than go through the court process which can take up to a year.

Also remember legal aid is actually a loan so the longer the process the more you will owe.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Aug 12 #351204 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
You do not have to go through mediation - you have to be assessed for mediation. If the assessor says that the case is not suitable for mediation, you do not have to go through with this and you will be allowed to issue proceedings.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11