A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Husband doesn’t want mediation

  • Kitty98
  • Kitty98's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
15 Feb 19 #506276 by Kitty98
Topic started by Kitty98
My husband moved out 5 months ago, and after some procrastination from me, I have finally got round to petitioning for divorce.

We are on amicable terms and both manage well in our 2 separate homes.

I have suggested mediation as neither of us want to go to court and we are on friendly terms. However, he has just shocked me by ringing up and saying he doesn’t want mediation, but wants us to sit down and work out an arrangement between ourselves (it’ll be the cost that’s putting him off).

Our finances are slightly complicated by the fact that the house he now lives in, was bought outright with a combination of some of his savings (which were an inheritance from his dad) plus our joint savings and investments. He says therefore it is ringfenced and I cannot put his house into the pot. He also wants 50% of the FMH which I’m still living in, with our 3 children, but says I can stay here until the youngest is 18 (she’s 11 now).

I obviously don’t agree with this and think mediation would help. What can I do if he refuses? How can I get him to go and what happens if he doesn’t?

His idea of what’s fair will be very different from mine and he can become unpleasant when things don’t go his way. So I’m also nervous about not having a 3rd party there.

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11