A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Selling House

  • sanwatt2603
  • sanwatt2603's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
09 Jan 08 #10277 by sanwatt2603
Topic started by sanwatt2603
Does my partner have to live in the marital home until it is sold as he has been told by his solicitor that he must as living with me is not an option as this will mean that he will have to pay his wife the differenece between the value of the property when bought and the value of the house as of today???? His wife is not aware he is staying here as he did not disclose this information in the attempt to protect me.

Kind regards
Sandra Watt

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Jan 08 #10279 by mike62
Reply from mike62

It is advantageous for him to stay in the former matrimonial home for a number of reasons.

However, unless he has had a short marriage (up to 2 or 3 years) and his wife owned the house before they were married, I can't imagine why he would have to pay his wife the difference between the purchase and sale price of the house.

I might be wrong, so hopefully someone will correct me.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.