A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Do we both need a solicitor?

  • Ladybird22
  • Ladybird22's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
30 Jan 08 #12386 by Ladybird22
Topic started by Ladybird22
My x2b wants me to petition for divorce and has agreed a sum for me to buy him out of the house, although he has agreed to a considerably less sum than 50% of the equity (more like 20%) - I think he must need the money quickly. Will my solicitor agree to such a small amount and just do the conveyance bit for us, or will he need to consult my x2b about the amount agreed? I am worried if he has to appoint his own solicitor, they may advise him to go for more money and then I won't be able to afford it and will have to sell the house.

  • TMax
  • TMax's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Jan 08 #12399 by TMax
Reply from TMax
Your soliciter would bite his hand of at that offer, but Im afriad its not that easy he will have to also agree to it in court thats all he wants.

why does he want you to petitiion and for what, divorces are not fast they can take years if problems arise.

is he happy also not to claim costs for the his part of divorce proceedings.

Does he have a pension at some date, this would also have to come into play of whats available in pot, savings anything of monetary value.

lots of ifs and buts so be careful. DO NOT hand any cash over till the FH or in court agreement with judge, doing so could lead to lead to major problems like I want more.

  • Ladybird22
  • Ladybird22's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
31 Jan 08 #12487 by Ladybird22
Reply from Ladybird22
Thanks. I think my x2b wants to do it without solicitors. He thinks we can just do the house/money exchange (just change the names on the deeds with a conveyancer) and then do a quickie divorce through the courts on our own. This is tempting because we don't have many other assets and I'm not expecting any maintenance. It might save a lot of time and money? Hmm, decisions, decisions?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11