A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Should I change sols

  • sammie
  • sammie's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
13 Feb 08 #13808 by sammie
Topic started by sammie
Separated for 1 year with x2b moving out of matrimonal home in Aug. We share care for our child 50/50. We earn same/ same pensions etc etc so we have agreed to split house equity 50/50. Not moving fast enough for my ex so she has threatened divorce for unreasonable behaviour and now wants full custody but still 50/50 split.
I sought legal advice and they have stated that child care arrangements are extremely likely to stay as they are. They advised writing to her sols offering we petition for her adultery and split costs. They drafted a letter and sent me a copy to agree. They got two facts completely wrong which I amended and highlighted and sent back asking them to change. Unfortunately they sent out the wrong letter and this has stirred up a hornets nest with my ex trhreatening a petition.
I spoke to my sol and presumed the correct letter would be sent. I receive another letter from my sol examining the x2b threatened petition. My sol letter names my child by the wrong name ( I presume a cut and paste job).

I speak to the new sol in the firm that is handling the case now and they state not to petition for adultery now and that if awarded against me I will be liable for costs which is the opposite of advice I initially got.

My head is saying to part company with them and issue my own petition immediately.

Help any ideas???

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Feb 08 #14107 by gone1
Reply from gone1
If a sol has taken you on as a client then they are responsible. Is she / he a partner in the firm? If not I would write to one of the partners, set out your case and refuse to pay. That should galvenise them. This sort of thing is intolarable. They have a duty of care. Chris.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.