A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Divorce and husband moving to america

  • rachaelsmith
  • rachaelsmith's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
25 Feb 08 #14985 by rachaelsmith
Topic started by rachaelsmith
Hi i am just contemplating divorce but my husband is much further down the track. He has been having an affair with a work collague for the last 4 months in the usa he goes once every 6 weeks but phones her daily. My main concern is setting up a legal contract which can be enforced in the USA as i understand he could stop payments if he wished to. And with the huge influence she is having on him i could see that being likely. We have 22 month old twins.:(

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Feb 08 #14990 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
There are arrangements with the US and many other countries for the reciprocal enforcement of maintenance orders. If you can agree CM it may be included in the order for your financial settlement otherwise the courts can't impose an order for CM unless your husband actually moves.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.