A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

how in 2 citizenships?

  • lordmi
  • lordmi's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
09 Sep 07 #3024 by lordmi
Topic started by lordmi
I am in USA.
My husband has both citizenships : UK and USA.
Have no idea where is he located now.
Can I divorce him in UK than?

Also - is it any way to locate him in UK?
Any search sites or other options?

Thank You all.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Sep 07 #3026 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
The fact that one party to a marriage is a British citizen does not automatically entitle that person to petition for divorce in the English courts.

As a general summary of a complicated situation, a petition in the English courts is possible if one or both of the parties is habitually resident in England. Alternatively, it is possible if one or both of the parties is ' domiciled ' in England and Wales. ' Domicile ' is a very important concept in international law but as a general rule it means the country which you call ' home ' and can change from time to time.

I have to stress this is a very broad brush statement, but in practical terms, if you do not know where your husband is, you won't be able to prove domicile or habitual residence, and therefore I would say you would have to petition in the state where you happen to reside.

Mike 100468

  • lordmi
  • lordmi's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
09 Sep 07 #3027 by lordmi
Reply from lordmi
Except - England is very maybe his residence for now. And in my state they will requare to get the evidence - he has been contacted or so.
Anyway, should find that piece of shit first.
looks like'.
Thank you

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11