A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Arrgh - just a little solicitor moan :(

  • xxxxhelpxxxx
  • xxxxhelpxxxx's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
18 Jun 12 #337484 by xxxxhelpxxxx
Topic started by xxxxhelpxxxx
I am frustrated!!

I should be on legal aid. I went to see a new solicitor because my previous one was not doing any more legal aid work (they did my divorce but couldn''t take on the financial settlement part). She decided that I was not eligible for legal aid because my dependant grandson did not count in the calculation. She said she would clarify this with the LSC. It took her the best part of 2.5 weeks to email me back to say that I wouldn''t be eligible but they were offering a fixed price service. I asked if there was any way I could appeal this. No answer at all.

Anyway, I did the online calculator and it says that I AM eligible, even taking my grandson out of the equation. I do not receive CB for him but do receive CTC for him. I therefore have 3 dependants of which I receive CB for 2.

She has put the wrong figures in for my rent. I receive housing benefit and so don''t pay all my rent, but do pay some. She just used the amount that I "make up" (approx £250 per month), whereas I receive HB of £580ish and actually pay out rent of £825.

So I emailed her back asking her to look at the form again, giving her the figures again, and again have received no reply. Not even an acknowledgement that my email has been received and was being dealt with. I have also emailed her secretary several times (on an address that I have received emails from her before) and got no response.

It''s just so frustrating that something reasonably simple should seem to be taking so long.

I am receiving nothing from my stbx, child maintenance or spousal maintenance and I just want to get the financials underway.

I am seriously thinking of doing it myself. I might well do if my stbx wasn''t self-employed and has done no accounts for several years.



  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Jun 12 #337654 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
The trouble is that legal aid rates are so low that a solicitor has to pack the cases in to make any sort of profit. Anything which needs any kind of serious thought ends up on the back burner. And no, I haven''t done legal aid work for over a decade.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.