A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Changing Solicitor??

  • fish0101
  • fish0101's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 Sep 12 #353778 by fish0101
Topic started by fish0101
Hi, Posting on behalf of a friend.
My friend has a court date in October(date not determined yet), and has lost faith/confidence in her solicitor. She has been advised to speak with him re her concerns, and the understanding is that she could well be offered another solicitor within their small firm. She does not want to stay with the firm and has another solicitor who would be willing to take on her case. She has legal aid. However, her concerns are that a ''certificate'' will have to be obtained before she can change and this might not come about before her court date. I would like to know how long these things take, and if she does not have time to change is her current solicitor obliged to represent her? Thanks in advance.

  • Smileyface
  • Smileyface's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 Sep 12 #353780 by Smileyface
Reply from Smileyface
Similar thing happened to me. I sacked my solicitor and obtained a new one, the certificate is obtained in her name and not the solicitors, it will make no difference. She must write to the current solicitor and terminate and tell them who is taking over.

  • fish0101
  • fish0101's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 Sep 12 #353782 by fish0101
Reply from fish0101
But how long will the certificate take?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.