A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Conflict of Interest

  • hervinder
  • hervinder's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
09 Sep 12 #354779 by hervinder
Topic started by hervinder
At the start of the seperating process initiated by my ex wife she used a firm of solicitors we had used previously whilst we were together, so they had represented me prior to the divorce/seperating process begun.

I informed my solicitor of this and they wrote to hers stating that they cease representing her imediately as there is a conflict of interest. They confirmed in writing that they will no longer represent my ex wife and that my wife has now instructed another firm. Funnily enough the new firm is based in the same building as the previous one, we always suspected that the two firms were working together and that my wife was getting advice from both. Although all correspondance is recieved from the second firm.

Two months later i now have firm evidence confirming that my wife is in contact with the first firm of solicitors and receiving advice from them.

Having confirmed in writing that the first firm are no longer representing my ex wife and clearly they still are is totally wrong.

I''m told we can complain to the law society but is there anything to gain here?

How seriously would the law society take this?

what powers do they have?

Is this something that can be used in any court proceedings?

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Sep 12 #354924 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
Firstly, there is no conflict of interest. If the firm acted for you both, any instructions and advice is common ground therefore there is no prejudice in acting for one of you on a separate matter.

The situation that you describe between the two firms of solicitors sounds fantastical to say the least. There is no mileage is secretly representing a client by using another firm as a ''cover''. Each firm would have a lot to lose from such a scam which benefits nobody. As such, I can''t help think that you have jumped to the wrong conclusion somewhere along the line.

You can certainly make a complaint to the law society/SRA but there is probably a very simple explanation and as there is no conflict, the LawSoc/SRA won’t be interested.

I don’t wish to belittle your concerns but if you ask yourself what you want to achieve from your complaint, it might help you focus on what really matters which is resolving issues between you and your spouse.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.